Our globalized, high-tech society provides unprecedented opportunities and challenges that will require students to master the Common Core State Standards.
21st Century themes and skills provide opportunities for motivating, engaging, and excelling student learning in this Digital Age.
The Common Core Standards Initiative is based on the most effective student performance models both nationally and internationally. The Common Core Standards provide teachers and parents with a common understanding of what students are expected to learn. The Common Core Standards were announced in 2009 with the implementation target of 2014. These national standards provide consistent academic benchmarks for all students, regardless of where they live.
The Common Core Standards…
- are aligned with college and career expectations
- include clear, comprehensible, and consistent
- contain rigorous content and require higher-order thinking to apply knowledge
- build upon and extend current state standards
- are informed by top-performing countries to prepare students for success in our global economy and society
- are evidence-based
Download the Common Core State Standards by accessing the following link: http://www.corestandards.org/the-standards
Additional Common Core Resources: http://www.corestandards.org/resources
DOK, Depth of Knowledge, information:
DOK Chart by Norman Webb and others